The USGA is a mission-based golf organization whose purpose is to unify the golf community through handicapping and grassroots programs; to showcase the game’s best talent through the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships and our museum; to provide unbiased global governance with The R&A through the playing, equipment and Amateur Status rules; and to advance issues important to golf’s future, with a focus on driving sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. As a nonprofit association, our work and our team are driven to act for the good of the game. The USGA’s headquarters are located in Liberty Corner, NJ, with a recently opened campus in Pinehurst, NC. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
is responsible for the in-house preparation and administration of USGA championships, including entries, exemptions, qualifying and equipment. The Manager, Championship Administration will oversee the in-house administration of three USGA championships and will also be responsible for the management of all championship and qualifying equipment items. Additionally, this position will help fulfill the customer service objectives of the department and will support the championship intern program. The Manager will also assist in the administration of other USGA championships and special projects as assigned and needed. As a member of the Championship Administration team, the Manager will be expected to collaborate with the team to help us continuously improve the player experience.
What you'll do:
- Oversee the in-house administration of three USGA Championships.
- Responsible for application and exemption preparation, entry opening and closing, allocation of places, alternate management and championship pairings.
- Handle correspondence to players, officials and Allied Golf Associations.
- Serve as department lead and handle all championship-specific inquiries related to qualifying and exemptions.
- Work closely with respective Championship Staff to produce exemplary championships.
- Serve as lead for all Championship and Qualifying Equipment, including the annual ordering of Championship Equipment, management of the routing and delivery, maintenance and inventory.
- Organize routing of freight equipment for all 17 championships and coordinate delivery times with Championship staff.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with equipment vendors.
- Manage AGA Exemplary Qualifying Equipment.
- Oversight of department equipment budgets and forecasts.
- Lead USGA Mobility Scooter Program.
- Perform ongoing maintenance and inventory of USGA equipment room.
- Contribute to the fulfilment of the customer service objectives of the department by responding to proportionate amount of phone calls and email inquiries from players/parents/agents, Allied Golf Association staff, and general public as it pertains to the championship entry process, transfers and withdrawals.
- Provide support to the Championship Intern program.
- Assist in the administration of other USGA Championships as assigned. Duties may include: operations, course marking, course set-up, and serving as a Rules official.
- Work on other department projects as needed.
Where you'll be:
- This role will be based at our Liberty Corner, NJ campus on a hybrid schedule. Employees are expected to spend 3 days per week working in the office, between Monday - Thursday. We are open to remote candidates on a case-by-case basis, and relocation may not be required. Candidates will be expected to travel, approximately 20-30 days per year.
What you bring:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent
- 4+ years of experience in golf administration or other related field
- Commitment to teamwork and enthusiasm for championship golf
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills; ability to lead and communicate well with others
- Ability to prioritize and delegate, ensure task completion and provide atmosphere for continuous learning by thinking both creatively and independently
- Self-motivated problem solver, able to evaluate an operation and identify potential issues and solutions
- Strong attention to detail and dedication to excellence
- Experience with managing against a budget
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
What the USGA brings:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, including a zero cost medical plan offered for all full-time employees
- Retirement plans, with up to 10% annual USGA contribution
- Suite of programs to promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being
- Generous bank of paid time off, plus the week between Christmas and New Years Day off
- Off-site team building events
- On-site gym and golf simulator
- Professional development opportunities
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.