The USGA is a mission-based golf organization whose purpose is to unify the golf community through handicapping and grassroots programs; to showcase the game’s best talent through the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships and our museum; to provide unbiased global governance with The R&A through the playing, equipment and Amateur Status rules; and to advance issues important to golf’s future, with a focus on driving sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. As a nonprofit association, our work and our team are driven to act for the good of the game. The USGA’s headquarters are located in Liberty Corner, NJ, with a recently opened campus in Pinehurst, NC. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
Under direct supervision of the Assistant Director, the Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day development and implementation of Championship Office functions, including but not limited to: leading the development of the volunteer program, cultivating relationships with volunteer leadership, the host site, and community stakeholders. The Coordinator will assist with organizational and departmental championship initiatives - including Accommodations, Public Safety, Parking & Transportation, Operations, Admissions, Player Services, Marketing, Communications, Finance, Merchandise, and Scoring. This position will be based out of Oakmont, PA through August 2025. Additionally, travel to Pinehurst, NC for the 2024 U.S. Open is required, beginning May 15 through June 30, 2024.
What you'll do:
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of the championship’s volunteer program, including but not limited to:
- Selection and education of appointed volunteer leadership (committee chairs)
- Setup of the online volunteer database, application, and registration processes
- Forecasting and determining specific volunteer committee needs for the championship
- Budget forecasting and reconciliation for volunteer program expense line items
- Recruitment and committee assignment of ≈3,000-3,500 volunteers
- Dissemination of volunteer apparel data to meet merchandising deadlines
- Collection of volunteer availability and subsequent scheduling of all volunteers
- Coordinating with the Operations team on vendor and/or equipment needs
- Develop and implement a detailed volunteer training program, including the organization and distribution of volunteer credentials
- Management of interns and support staff for the volunteer program during championship week
- Timely distribution of the volunteer survey, recognition and gifting, and necessary after-action reporting following the conclusion of the championship
- Providing exemplary customer service for all volunteer and general championship inquiries
- Support U.S. Open Championship Staff and Human Resources by overseeing the hiring process for Championship Office interns, including recruitment, interviewing, hiring, onboarding, and training processes. Serve as the primary day-to-day contact for Championship Office interns.
- Work with fellow USGA staff members in the management of the host club, government officials, and local community relationships; maintain effective communications with relevant stakeholder groups and assist with securing all necessary championship support.
- Organize the recruitment and onboarding of the championship’s First-Aid and Emergency Medical Service Providers, including educating the provider(s) on their role, coordinating operational planning, uniform and credential distribution, and managing provider expectations for onsite activation(s).
- Coordinate with various USGA departments to further elevate the championship’s initiatives and planning objectives, including but not limited to admissions planning, accommodations, communications and media support, enhancing the players services experience, and assisting with site visits, note-taking, and financial projections.
Where you'll be:
- This position will be based out of Oakmont, PA through August 2025. Additionally, travel to Pinehurst, NC for the 2024 U.S. Open is required, beginning May 15 through June 30, 2024.
What you bring:
- Bachelors degree in Sports, Business Management, or related field preferred.
- 1+ years of live event or related experience required.
- Diplomatic, outgoing personality with effective communication skills.
- Ability to create and manage local relationships with host club staff, local organizing committee, committee chairs/marshal captains, government officials, volunteers, and vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, think "outside the box", with a knack for anticipating and analyzing problems and providing logical solutions.
- Ability to manage staff members through delegating tasks, ensuring task completion and providing an atmosphere for staff and interns to learn and grow.
- Ability to work long hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Strong computer skills, with working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
What the USGA brings:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, including a zero cost medical plan offered for all full-time employees
- Retirement plans, with up to 10% annual USGA contribution
- Suite of programs to promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being
- Generous bank of paid time off, plus the week between Christmas and New Years Day off
- Off-site team building events
- On-site gym and golf simulator
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.