The USGA is a mission-based golf organization whose purpose is to unify the golf community through handicapping and grassroots programs; to showcase the game’s best talent through the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships and our museum; to provide unbiased global governance with The R&A through the playing, equipment and Amateur Status rules; and to advance issues important to golf’s future, with a focus on driving sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. As a nonprofit association, our work and our team are driven to act for the good of the game. The USGA’s headquarters are located in Liberty Corner, NJ, with a recently opened campus in Pinehurst, NC. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
The USGA’s Championship Administration team is responsible for the in-house preparation and administration of USGA championships, including entries, exemptions, qualifying and equipment. The Assistant Manager, Championship Administration will manage the in-house administration of two USGA championships and the USGA’s qualifying performance policy, and will also be responsible for administrative support of a USGA Open Championship. Additionally, this position will assist in the fulfillment of the customer service objectives of the department and will assist with the management of championship and qualifying equipment items. This position will also assist in the conduct of other USGA championships and special projects as assigned and needed.
What you'll do:
- Manage the in-house administration of two USGA Championships. Responsible for application and exemption preparation, entry opening and closing, allocation of places and alternates, championship pairings and correspondence to players, officials and Allied Golf Associations. Works closely with respective Championship Staff to produce exemplary championships.
- Provide administrative support for a USGA Open Championship, including management of the Rules Office and distribution of important information to Championship Staff, Rules Team and Committee Members. This role will require an on-site presence for approximately 16-18 days.
- Coordinate the scheduling and ordering of equipment that supports USGA Championships and Qualifying. Manage relationships between key vendors and contacts. Work with Manager to fulfill all equipment requirements
- Manage the USGA’s Qualifying Performance Policy and serve as the primary point of contact for notification, requested submissions and appeals
- Management of USGA trophies including ordering, scheduling and engraving.
- Assist in delivering exceptional customer service to players, parents, agents and officials as it pertains to the entry process, transfers and withdrawals.
- Assist in the conduct of other USGA Championships as assigned.
- Assist with other department projects as assigned.
Where you'll be:
- This role will be based at our Liberty Corner, NJ campus on a hybrid schedule. Employees are expected to spend 3 days per week working in the office, between Monday - Thursday. We are open to remote candidates on a case-by-case basis, and relocation may not be required. Candidates will be expected to travel, approximately 20-30 days per year.
What you bring:
- Bachelors degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience in golf administration
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills; ability to lead and communicate well with others
- Ability to prioritize and complete important tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to problem solve, think creatively, evaluate an operation & identify potential issues/solutions
- Strong working knowledge of modern technology
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Highly motivated individual willing to assist others with the ability to work both as a team and independently
What the USGA brings:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, including a zero cost medical plan offered for all full-time employees
- Retirement plans, with up to 10% annual USGA contribution
- Suite of programs to promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being
- Generous bank of paid time off, plus the week between Christmas and New Years Day off
- Off-site team building events
- On-site gym and golf simulator
- Professional development opportunities
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.