The USGA is a mission-based golf organization whose purpose is to unify the golf community through handicapping and grassroots programs; to showcase the game’s best talent through the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships and our museum; to provide unbiased global governance with The R&A through the playing, equipment and Amateur Status rules; and to advance issues important to golf’s future, with a focus on driving sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. As a nonprofit association, our work and our team are driven to act for the good of the game. The USGA’s headquarters are located in Liberty Corner, NJ, with a recently opened campus in Pinehurst, NC. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
We're looking for a highly motivated and dynamic safety professional to join the USGA to enhance our health and safety program. The Director, Safety will coordinate and integrate safety efforts within the organization and onsite at USGA golf championships nationwide. Reporting to the Legal and Compliance team, the Director will be responsible for (i) developing and implementing effective risk management controls to reduce exposure at large-scale events, and (ii) creating compliance procedures consistent with all applicable workplace safety federal, state, and local laws designed to protect the health and safety of all employees and the public. Due to rotating host locations for our championships, travel is necessary for this role (primarily during the March-August golf championship season).
What you'll do:
- Manage safety compliance onsite at USGA championships (in particular during construction and deconstruction phases at the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, and U.S. Senior Open) by working with the internal championships team, vendors, and other third parties to enforce safety requirements and ensure adherence to safety plans;
- Develop and enforce organization safety protocols both at campus facilities (Liberty Corner and Pinehurst) and onsite at USGA championships;
- Advise and make recommendations to championship leadership for achievement of current and future safe work environment goals;
- Develop a robust safety program for the USGA, including a safety training program, safety policies and procedures, and OSHA regulatory programs;
- Regularly inspect all organization facilities and grounds for safety compliance;
- Manage workers’ compensation claims for workplace accidents;
- Identify opportunities and develop solutions to enhance safety performance; and
- Continue building a culture of safety by promoting health and safety awareness and education.
Where you'll be:
- This role will be based at our new headquarters in Pinehurst, North Carolina, with necessary travel to rotating championship sites annually, primarily between March - August of each year.
What you bring:
What the USGA brings:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, including a zero cost medical plan offered for all full-time employees
- Retirement plans, with up to 10% annual USGA contribution
- Suite of programs to promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being
- Generous bank of paid time off, plus the week between Christmas and New Years Day off
- Off-site team building events
- Professional development opportunities
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.