The USGA is a mission-based golf organization whose purpose is to unify the golf community through handicapping and grassroots programs; to showcase the game’s best talent through the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships and our museum; to provide unbiased global governance with The R&A through the playing, equipment and Amateur Status rules; and to advance issues important to golf’s future, with a focus on driving sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. As a nonprofit association, our work and our team are driven to act for the good of the game. The USGA’s headquarters are located in Liberty Corner, NJ, with a recently opened campus in Pinehurst, NC. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
The Coordinator, U.S. Open Operations will assist with the operational planning, organization and execution of facility construction and operational logistics for the 2024 & 2025 U.S. Open Championships. This position will be based out of Oakmont, PA through August 2025. Additionally, travel to Pinehurst, NC for the 2024 U.S. Open is required, beginning May 15 through June 30, 2024.
What you'll do:
- Assist with the oversight of 24 interns and vendor groups for the 2024 U.S. Open. Following this championship, you will than oversee the recruitment, assignment, and day-to-day job execution of approximately 24 interns from February-July of 2025. Maintain project list and assign tasks daily during the construction phase of the U.S. Open.
- Serve as a primary championship contact for some vendor groups and assist the Manager, U.S. Open Operations as a secondary on-site contact for other key vendors, host club leadership & the grounds crew.
- Work with the Senior Director(s), U.S. Open Championship, Director, U.S. Open Construction and Manager(s), U.S. Open Operations, to execute the setup, teardown, removal and restoration of all championship equipment and materials.
- Work with the Senior Director(s), U.S. Open Championship, Director, U.S. Open Construction and Manager(s), U.S. Open Operations with the procurement of vendor bids, selection of vendor partners, and the execution of vendor contracts.
- Assist with the development of quarterly financial projections for championship operations and alongside Manager, U.S. Open Operations manage the invoicing and billback process.
- Manage shared folder for championship vendors’ information and planning, including but not limited to the construction timeline, facility survey, vendor manual and meeting materials. Assist the Manager, U.S. Open Operations in compiling meeting notes, weekly/daily reports, agendas, lists, etc.
- Assist with GPS surveying of all on-site facilities.
- Manage the U.S. Open Field Operations office on-site, including supplies and shipping/receiving.
Where you'll be:
- This position will be based out of Oakmont, PA through August 2025. Additionally, travel to Pinehurst, NC for the 2024 U.S. Open is required, beginning May 15 through June 30, 2024.
What you bring:
- Bachelors degree
- Previous internship or work experience in sports is a plus
- Ability to communicate efficiently with a wide variety of individuals, and work effectively in a team environment
- Maintain and manage local relationships with host club and community officials
- Demonstrated ability to follow and execute detailed plans, able to anticipate and analyze problems and provide logical solutions
- Experience and/or knowledge of construction equipment and activities is a plus
- Ability to manage staff/interns through delegating tasks, ensuring task completion, and providing an atmosphere for staff/interns to learn and grow
What the USGA brings:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, including a zero cost medical plan offered for all full-time employees
- Retirement plans, with up to 10% annual USGA contribution
- Suite of programs to promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being
- Generous bank of paid time off, plus the week between Christmas and New Years Day off
- Off-site team building events
- On-site gym and golf simulator
- Professional development opportunities
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.