The USGA is a mission-based golf organization whose purpose is to unify the golf community through handicapping and grassroots programs; to showcase the game’s best talent through the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships and our museum; to provide unbiased global governance with The R&A through the playing, equipment and Amateur Status rules; and to advance issues important to golf’s future, with a focus on driving sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. As a nonprofit association, our work and our team are driven to act for the good of the game. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
This basic timeline should give you an idea of the many roles you will play throughout this internship. From your work on the loading dock and in the office, to your time in the Merchandise Pavilion with some of the biggest golf merchandise and apparel companies, you will leave with a greater understanding of the merchandise operation of a major Championship.
Early May to Early June – U.S. Women’s Open at Lancaster Country Club
Early June to Early July – U.S. Senior Open at Newport Country Club
What you'll do:
- Assist with merchandise set-up and visual displays in the Merchandise Pavilion (50 hours)
- Includes: working with Fixture and Merchandise vendors to get pavilion prepared for opening
- Moving/Cleaning Fixtures, organizing merchandise inventory in backstock, checking in product, product load-in, visual merchandising and other various jobs that come up
- Assist in running the Merchandise Pavilion for the Championship (70 hours)
- Each intern will have a variety of responsibilities throughout the championships. From customer service to replenishing back-stock, helping manage and maintain the Pavilion and more.
- This includes directing volunteers in various areas of the merchandise operation and assisting vendors. Each intern will have an opportunity to manage a group of volunteers and work with them to ensure each area of the merchandise operation is running efficiently.
- Assist with Merchandise Volunteer check-in and volunteer apparel exchange.
- Assist with checking in any replenishment orders on the dock during the event. In addition to that, preparing products as necessary prior to hitting the sales floor. This may include, applying the necessary barcodes or removing them from any packaging.
- Assist with breakdown of the merchandise operation (40 hours)
- Ending inventory procedures
- Packaging/Sending of left-over merchandise/supplies
- Work closely with fixture company and help pack trailer
*The hours per week indicated above, are averages based off previous years. Compensation details below.
*Candidates must be capable to assist in the movement of boxes weighing approximately 30-70 lbs., especially during early May and Memorial Day weekend.
Where you'll be:
- This role will be based in Lancaster, PA and Newport, RI.
What you bring:
- Communication is the key to being successful in this role. Working together with fellow interns to execute daily tasks is one of your main responsibilities.
- Opportunity to lead volunteers and become a resource for the Merchandise Staff to communicate to vendors and other USGA Staff. Play a huge role as eye and ears of the operation.
- Freedom to create and take ownership of a project. Great opportunity to present new ideas. Influence on Visual Merchandising during tent stocking.
- Ability to jump from task to task quickly as well as picking up where someone left off on any given project. In this role, you will learn flexibility is key, in order to adjust the plan under different circumstances to achieve the same goal.
- 40 to 105 hours per week
What the USGA brings:
- Mentoring Relationships
- Networking Opportunities (Vendors, USGA Staff, Volunteers)
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.