About the Facility
Atkins Golf Club is owned by the DIA, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, at the University of Illinois. The course is designed and maintained to challenge the most elite NCAA Division 1 men and women golfers in the world and is home to the 2023 Big 10 Champion Fighting Illini Women’s Golf Team and the 8-time defending Big 10 Champion Fighting Illini Men’s Golf Team. The course hosts an annual Men’s Collegiate Invitational, the 2024 CDGA Illinois State Amateur, and multiple donor/fund raising events for other Fighting Illini Athletic teams. With 5 sets of tees, the course can play a comfortable distance for any ability player from just under 5000 yards to over 7500 yards.
Atkins Golf Club at the University of Illinois in Urbana, Illinois is excited to announce the exceptional career opportunity of Head Golf Professional. Qualified candidates will thrive in a hospitality environment and be highly focused on providing superior service to all guests and stakeholders at the club while a balance between work and homelife. Work in a schedule consisting of a 5-1-1 program (5 days in golf operations, 1 day dedicated to Teach/Practice/Play, and 1 day away from the facility) Compensation consists of a salary of approximately $75,000, golf instruction revenue (about 10% of salary), an incentive plan, and a competitive benefit package. Our expected onboard date is approximately March 1, 2024.
Key Responsibilities of the Associate Golf Professional:
- Responsible for every aspect of the Atkins Golf Club golf experience including level of service, golf car fleet, pace of play, customer satisfaction, customer feedback, player development, practice facility management, employee training, and employee satisfaction.
- Work with the management team to establish annual business plan including budget, growth initiatives, and staffing plans.
- Oversee golf shop staff in providing excellent customer service to golfers and golf shop customers.
- Administers all point of sales application revisions and needs as it applies to green fee sales, merchandise sales, and member/guest billing. Coordinates with Accounting Departments all policy and procedure revisions, updates, and implementation.
- Oversee training and performance of golf staff including outside service attendants, practice facilities, starters/player assistants, golf shop staff, golf shop interns, and professional golf staff.
- Reconciles daily tee sheets, performs check-ins, and receives payments from members and guests. Resolves discrepancies as it applies to duplicate charges and over or under payment. Track all force posts and no show charges as applicable.
- Initiates and promotes all club golf activities.
- Creates player development plans and provides both individual and group instruction.
- Maintains a clean, orderly, and well-stocked golf shop. Assists retail buyer with procurement and merchandise and shop assistants with merchandising and sales.
- Supervises preparations for all golf outings including scorecards, cart labels, rules sheets, score sheets, format sheets, favors, pairing sheets and hole assignments.
- Recruit golf department staff by interviewing, hiring, training, planning, assigning, and directing work, evaluating performance, rewarding, and disciplining maintenance associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensures that effective orientation and training are given to each new associate. Developing ongoing training programs.
- Assists in monitoring business volume forecast and plans accordingly in areas of manpower, productivity, costs and other expenses.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining excellent service to achieve guest satisfaction.
- Conducts staff meetings with subordinates.
- Incorporates safe work practices in job performance.
- Performs other duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications for the Associate Golf Professional:
- High School Diploma ; 3-5 years golf management experience and/or training in a golf or country club setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Current PGA/LPGA Membership preferred.