The USGA is a mission-based nonprofit organization whose purpose is to unify the game, showcase the best talent in golf, provide impartial governance and advance our impact on critical issues such as sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. We conduct the U.S. Open, the U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships at America’s iconic golf venues. The USGA’s headquarters is located in Liberty Corner, N.J., with a new satellite Golf House Pinehurst campus scheduled to open in Dec. 2023. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
Position Timeframe: February 1 – September 30, 2024 (Start/End Date Flexible)
Location: USGA Headquarters, Liberty Corner, New Jersey (Relocation may not be required)
Are you interested in joining a dynamic team that is an integral part of USGA Championships? The USGA is looking for 3-5 interns to provide support for USGA Championships during the 2024 season. This internship offers a comprehensive introduction and extensive training experience to prepare for a career in golf administration and is a great way to gain valuable experience in Sports Management, Golf Administration, Volunteer Management and Customer Service.
This internship requires travel during the season to assist at multiple championships (estimated 30-40 days). Relocation to New Jersey may not be required, however local candidates may benefit from additional networking and in-person opportunities by working out of USGA Headquarters. All successful candidate(s) will be invited to attend a one-week orientation at the USGA Headquarters. Once here, there will be an opportunity to attend scheduled meetings, receive training, meet with staff members across different departments, and have access to the USGA Museum. The Championship Interns will also attend the USGA P.J. Boatwright Conference virtually, which will give them the opportunity to learn about other departments within the USGA.
What you'll do:
The USGA Championships Department is a motivated team focused on providing a first-class experience to competitors, fans and Allied Golf Associations (AGA’s). Championship Interns can expect to learn a large range of Sports Management skills such as Event Operations, Player Relations, Business Analytics, Communication and Volunteer Management.
- Responsibilities when working from USGA Headquarters/Remotely:
- Assist the Championship Administration team with the management of the Qualifying Process, USGA Championship Entries, Customer Service, and Exemptions.
- Communicate with USGA players, parents and agents, as well as key stakeholders (Allied Golf Associations, Qualifying Host Clubs, domestic and international tours, and staff across multiple departments)
- Assist with the weekly compilation of the World Amateur Golf Rankings (WAGR)
- Assist Championship Administration team with championship equipment.
- Responsibilities during Championship Support:
- Assist with on-site championship activities (i.e. golf course marking and set-up, player services, event operations, scoring, managing Rules Office, etc) at approximately three to five championships.
- Work closely with USGA Championship staff, host club staff and lead championship volunteers.
- Train volunteers on the use of our scoring tablets, on-course status boards and standards.
What you bring:
- Currently enrolled or completed bachelor’s degree
- Competitive or administrative golf experience or an interest in a career in golf administration
- Ability to work independently and support the team
- Interest in golf administration, Rules and championship operations
- Effective communication with a wide variety of individuals involved in a national championship
- Resourceful, presentable, courteous, friendly and organized
- Good follow-up skills and ability to handle issues quickly and calmly
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook essential
- A valid driver’s license
- Access to a reliable motor vehicle (for local applicants)
- Familiarity with the use of tablets running Android OS
- Demonstrated ability to follow and execute detailed plans – able to anticipate and analyze problems and provide logical solutions
- Ability to work well under pressure and be flexible
What the USGA brings:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, including a zero-cost medical plan offered for all full-time employees
- Retirement plans, with up to 10% annual USGA contribution
- Suite of programs to promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being
- Generous bank of paid time off, plus the week between Christmas and New Years Day off
- Off-site team building events
- On-site gym and golf simulator
- Professional development opportunities
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.