We seek enthusiastic, diligent, and talented Principal Front End Engineers to join the Callaway engineering team. You must have demonstrated experience building innovative, intuitive, scalable, and reliable web applications. You will have an enormous opportunity to significantly impact the architecture, design, and delivery of innovative experiences used daily on the web by people you may know.
The Principal Front End Engineer designs delivers, and supports front-end e-commerce development of isomorphic web/mobile experiences, working closely with Product Managers, Technical Leads, Solution Architects, other Software Engineers, and SDETs/Quality Engineers in a highly collaborative environment. The e-commerce team is dynamic, fast-paced, and highly collaborative. The ideal candidate must be able to thrive in an environment where change through experimentation, iteration, and evolution is constant. The e-commerce development team embraces Agile - where all roles closely collaborate to own all aspects of new customer experiences. The e-commerce team is self-organizing. Engineers must take the initiative to pick up new stories and reach out to one another when they need assistance to ensure product stories are complete. Likewise, engineers must be available and willing to assist other engineers and teammates when they need help. Effective communication and people skills are necessary for this position.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mentor junior front-end engineers
- Stay up to date on the latest front-end technologies.
- Architect and optimize complex web and application solutions.
- Internalize the user and promote good usability and accessibility.
- Work with Managers, Developers, App owners, QA Engineers, and Release Engineers from development to production
- Focus on software development, design, implementation, and debugging details.
- Have a solid technical competence background with a history of individual technical accomplishments - Ability to lead a development team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and collaboration effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Outstanding analytical, facilitation, presentation, and communication skills in driving decisions and team consensus at all levels
- Managing technical aspects of the transition of the solution into live use
- Employ critical thinking skills to improve development projects and processes
REQUIRED TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- 8+ years of solid, disciplined software development experience
- 5+ Years as a technical leader delivering large-scale e-commerce web/mobile applications.
- 4+ years of experience in agile practice using Jira.
- Experience delivering converged (mobile, desktop, etc.), isomorphic (client+server) web apps.
- Expert knowledge of modern front-end frameworks for browser-based systems, specifically React+Next.js
- Expertise in developing front-end-optimized APIs leveraging GraphQL.
- Expert knowledge of efficient service consumption patterns (REST or GraphQL) in the browser
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline and tools
- Experience developing/supporting SEO (via SSR/SSG), analytics, and multi-variant testing strategies.
- Strong technical thought leadership, delivering and influencing the adoption of reusable components, styles, and template-driven designs.
- Highly collaborative and engaging within a team environment.
- Ability to prepare and present potential technical solutions and advise product partners, teams, and stakeholders on approaches and tradeoffs.
- Ability to champion major technical transformation initiatives within the organization.
- Demonstrated passion for end-to-end ownership of solutions.
- Passion for peer review - participate in and conduct design and code reviews.
- Proven understanding of Agile development methodologies
- Dedicated to delivering quality solutions covered by automated testing.
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with SEO and analytics
- Experience with cloud computing platforms
- Experience with accessibility standards
- Passion for learning and innovation
- Exposure to Azure/Vercel and other cloud services
- Exposure to Apollo Studio
- Familiarity with Github-based software development
- Familiarity with Authentication/Authorization standards OAuth/OpenID/JWT/SAML
- Familiarity with SumoLogic/Dynatrace/OpenTelemetry for operational observability
- Familiarity with Google Analytics business metrics
- Experience with test-driven development tools/techniques
- Experience with Flood.io or similar distributed browser-based testing
- Knowledge and application of ADA web standards
- Relentlessly keeps up to date on new and emerging technologies.
- Thirst for popular and emerging techniques and frameworks (React, Next.js, Node.js, PWA, etc.)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, related degree, or equivalent work experience required.
- 8+ years of experience in front-end development
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership role
- Experience with modern front-end frameworks and libraries
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Excellent communication and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Relevant professional certifications are a plus.
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diverse backgrounds and experiences make for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply. We look forward to learning more about you.