The USGA is a mission-based nonprofit organization whose purpose is to unify the game, showcase the best talent in golf, provide impartial governance and advance our impact on critical issues such as sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. We conduct the U.S. Open, the U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships at America’s iconic golf venues. The USGA’s headquarters is located in Liberty Corner, N.J., with a new satellite Golf House Pinehurst campus scheduled to open in Dec. 2023. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
The Championship preparations operate in a fast-paced working environment. Intern must have the ability to work under pressure and handle many tasks at one time. Each day brings new challenges and the intern must have top-notch organizational and communication skills. A portion of the time, the intern will find themselves working in a typical office environment, but significant work will be done in exterior environs as well. The ability to handle physical tasks such as lifting boxes and manual labor may be required at times. In the weeks leading up to the championship, the intern will work at least (20) hour work weeks; however, as we grow closer to the championship, work weeks will lengthen to (40+) hours and will include weekends and holidays. An internship with the United States Golf Association and the 2024 U.S. Women’s Open Championship is a tremendous first step for a career in the fields of special event marketing and professional sports.
The Marketing Intern will assist with the grassroots marketing initiatives and administrative duties of the 2024 U.S. Women’s Open Championship, including digital and email marketing, trophy tour activations, advance preparation/set-up, and championship week responsibilities. Work hours will be flexible, and fluid based on weekly events and engagements. All commitments will be communicated in advance, and the intern must have the flexibility to works nights and weekends.
What you'll do:
- Cross-functional exposure to the USGA and our strategy & approach towards customer communications
- Exposure to all aspects of the USGA and the role of the “Marketing team”
- Opportunity to learn more about various marketing channels (OOH, Print, Email, Direct mail, Social Media, etc.)
What you'll be responsible for:
- Assist in development of promotional and support materials for U.S. Women’s Open marketing efforts
- Serve as a brand ambassador for the U.S. Women’s Trophy Tour that will activate at local events and engagements
- Support and staff week of championship fan activations (May 28 – June 4)
Where you'll be:
- This role will be based out of Lancaster, PA
What you bring:
- Ability to work flexible hours and varying work weeks (20 – 40+ hour work weeks)
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively express ideas and interact with a wide array of individuals in an exemplary manner consistent with USGA values
- Must remain flexible with an ever-changing environment
- Resourceful, professional, courteous, friendly and organized
- Good follow-up skills and ability to handle issues quickly and calmly
- Ability to work independently and support the team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software – above average knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Publisher
- Ability to prepare presentations to include PowerPoint and printed material
- Demonstrated ability to follow and execute detailed plans – able to anticipate and analyze problems and provide logical solutions
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Must have access to a car/transportation, as much of the job will be driven by event engagements predominantly in the Lancaster community, but may extend to Philadelphia
- Preferred, but not required to have a general working knowledge of golf
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.