The USGA is a mission-based nonprofit organization whose purpose is to unify the game, showcase the best talent in golf, provide impartial governance and advance our impact on critical issues such as sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. We conduct the U.S. Open, the U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships at America’s iconic golf venues. The USGA’s headquarters is located in Liberty Corner, N.J., with a new satellite Golf House Pinehurst campus scheduled to open in Dec. 2023. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
Position Timeframe: January 8 - July 26, 2024
Location: Pinehurst No. 2 | Pinehurst, NC
Are you interested in joining a dynamic team that is an integral part of the USGA? The U.S. Open Championship internship is a great way to gain valuable experience in sports management. Whether you work in Merchandising, Operations or Will Call, you will gain valuable experience and see firsthand how an exemplary golf championship is run.
The 124th U.S. Open Championship will be held at Pinehurst Resort & Country Club in North Carolina. This will be the fourth U.S. Open Championship hosted by Pinehurst. The famed No.2 course has held a variety of Majors that include the PGA Championship, Ryder Cup, U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Senior Open and three U.S. Men’s Amateurs. The last time the U.S. Open Championship took place at Pinehurst was in 2014 and that year, it was held back to back with the U.S. Women’s Open for the first time in History! Pinehurst is also the site of one of the most famous finishes in major Championship history when Payne Stewart made a putt on the 18th green to defeat Phil Mickelson by 1 shot in 1999. In 2020, Pinehurst was selected by the USGA to be one of three “anchor sites” for the U.S. Open Championships, further increasing its footprint on the history of golf.
What you'll do:
The Long-Term Operations intern assists the United States Golf Association with the operations of the 2024 U.S. Open Championship, including advance set-up, Championship week responsibilities and post-Championship breakdown. This is a paid internship with a monthly housing stipend. Candidates are eligible for overtime pay.
Working at the U.S. Open, you will experience a fast-paced work environment. The successful candidate must have the ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks at one time. Each day brings new challenges and this position requires top-notch organizational and communication skills. In this position, the Operations intern will typically work in an office environment as well as outdoors as required at the course. The Operations intern must have the ability to handle physical tasks such as lifting boxes and furniture and perform manual labor; spending extensive time in the sun and/or inclement weather should be expected. The weeks leading up to the Championship will require at least (40) hour work weeks and as the Championship grows closer, working hours will lengthen to (80+) hours and will include weekends. The Operations intern assists the United States Golf Association field operations staff with the day-to-day administrative tasks in the 2024 U.S. Open Operations field office.
Essential Job Functions Include:
- Assist USGA staff with the preparation and set-up of on-site facilities (i.e., corporate hospitality, media center, vendor compounds, volunteer village, office trailers, etc.)
- Work with the USGA staff on the inventory and distribution of operational equipment (chairs, drink stands, furniture, office equipment, tables, water coolers, etc.)
- Take the lead as point person for specific vendors and oversee their progress during the facility construction and tear-down processes in conjunction with Operations management.
- Assist vendors and USGA staff with tear-down and clean-up procedures following the completion of the Championship.
- Work with USGA staff on installation and removal of Championship signage.
- Provide USGA staff with administrative office support.
- Assist other U.S. Open departments with support, as necessary.
Where you'll be:
This role is based at our Pinehurst, NC headquarters.
What you bring:
- Able to work long and strenuous hours (40 - 80+ hour work weeks) including holidays and weekends
- Must remain flexible with an ever-changing environment
- Able to think logically and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively express ideas and interact with a wide array of individuals in an exemplary manner consistent with USGA values
- General computer literacy (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to operate various tools and equipment safely (including but not limited to saws, drills, hammers, screwdrivers, box cutters, knives, golf carts/trucks, etc.)
- Able to lift heavy items (up to 50lbs), while practicing Safe Lifting and/or with the assistance of others.
- Ensures a neat, clean and safe work environment by cleaning work areas and discarding waste materials in the proper manner.
- Compliance with all USGA safety and operations policies, procedures, and practices
- Prior experience in golf tournament operations is preferred
- Exceptional work ethic; Team player
Successfully hired candidates must complete a mandatory OSHA 10-Hour safety course. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Intern may perform other duties as assigned.
What the USGA brings:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, including a zero cost medical plan offered for all full-time employees
- Retirement plans, with up to 10% annual USGA contribution
- Suite of programs to promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being
- Generous bank of paid time off, plus the week between Christmas and New Years Day off
- Off-site team building events
- On-site gym and golf simulator
- Professional development opportunities
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.