The USGA is a mission-based nonprofit organization whose purpose is to unify the game, showcase the best talent in golf, provide impartial governance and advance our impact on critical issues such as sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. We conduct the U.S. Open, the U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships at America’s iconic golf venues. The USGA’s headquarters is located in Liberty Corner, N.J., with a new satellite Golf House Pinehurst campus scheduled to open in Dec. 2023. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
Manage assigned planning, budgeting, vendor coordination and operational execution for the U.S. Senior Open Championship. Assist the Director of Operations with onsite construction and logistics through facilitating communications and relationships between vendors, USGA departments and host site representatives.
What you'll do:
- Manage relationship with key host site contacts. Coordinate with club on site requirements based on established construction timeline. Coordinate advance site prep work required to support the championship footprint and facilitate daily communication between host site and vendors during construction period. Work with host site golf maintenance team to manage property remediation following the conclusion of the Championship
- Conduct RFP process for assigned championship services. Coordinate with USGA Procurement to properly negotiate, select vendors to support the event and execute contracts. Manage assigned U.S. Open budgetary line items. Work with USGA finance team to settle all payments, invoices and billbacks following conclusion of the championship.
- Work with USGA Marketing and USGA Corporate Partner teams to annually plan and execute onsite activations and develop best practices program for onsite activations. Coordinate advanced site visits with partnerships department. Integrate activation requirements into vendor scopes and execution timeline.
- Work with Director of U.S. Senior Open Operations to develop facility map for the championship and create final site plans for all championship facilities. Maintain site drawings and continuously update championship vendors to develop accurate scopes of work for all equipment and supplies to support the championship.
- Oversee project execution for assigned U.S. Senior Open vendors. Assist the Director, U.S. Senior Open with the development of construction timelines and the day-to-day management and communication to key vendors including but not limited to grandstands, power and temperature control, fueling, temporary roadways, floors and tenting structures, carpentry, ecology, telecom and TV/AV. Coordinate bi-annual vendor planning sessions and weekly onsite vendor meetings during the construction period. Work with championship vendors to facilitate construction plans for all Championship facilities (tents, floors, grandstands, etc…) to meet all necessary codes. Work with local building, electrical, and fire officials to obtain necessary permits for the U.S. Open Championship.
- Hire and onboard crew of U.S. Senior Open interns. Develop intern training checklist and oversee daily intern projects. Manage the intern crew through the championship and post-event tear down process. Manage onsite facility and equipment requirements for various USGA staff departments, including but not limited to Rules, Executive, IT, Legal, HR, Finance and Merchandise.
- Work with and support Director and Manager of U.S. Women’s Operations on an as needed basis in preparation for the U.S. Women’s and U.S. Senior Women’s Open Championships.
Where you'll be:
This role will be based at our new headquarters in Pinehurst, North Carolina, scheduled to open in Dec. 2023.
What you bring:
- Diplomatic personality and ability to lead and communicate well with others
- Create and manage local relationships with host club and community officials
- College education required and strong knowledge of computers, including ArcGIS platform
- Ability to travel frequently
- Experience with event and vendor logistics
- Ability to manage event operations and vendor scopes within budget parameters
- Leadership qualities, capable of managing a crew to carry out project and task lists
- Strong communicator
- Precise attention to details and adherence to timelines
- Skilled with Microsoft Office Suite
Must be able to relocate to championship venue when construction begins and provide support as needed at U.S. Women’s Open and Senior Women’s Open Championships.
What the USGA brings:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, including a zero cost medical plan offered for all full-time employees
- Retirement plans, with up to 10% annual USGA contribution
- Suite of programs to promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being
- Generous bank of paid time off, plus the week between Christmas and New Years Day off
- Off-site team building events
- Professional development opportunities
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.