Based in St Andrews, The R&A runs professional championships including The Open and the AIG Women’s British Open, elite amateur events, international matches and rankings. The R&A, through R&A Rules Ltd, governs the sport worldwide, outside of the United States and Mexico, on behalf of over 36 million golfers in 143 countries and with the consent of 157 organisations from amateur and professional golf. The R&A is at the forefront in modernising the sport and making it more relevant to today’s society.
The R&A’s purpose is to make golf more accessible, appealing and inclusive and to ensure it is thriving 50 years from now. Our Commercial department plays a key role in supporting that purpose and we are looking for a Sales Executive to join that team.
As part of the sales team, the successful candidate will be responsible for contributing towards the sales of hospitality experiences, primarily for The Open Championship but also other Professional Championships. The successful candidates will exhibit the desire and drive to be part of a winning team through effective sales performance.
Core responsibilities including the following:
- Develop effective sales initiatives designed to generate suitable leads with “receptive” target clients.
- Develop effective contact strategies using industry research, telesales reconnaissance, networking, referrals, “black book” and other lead generating initiatives.
- Identify and contact prospective customers via multiple methods.
- Where appropriate, conduct effective face to face sales meetings with clients that lead to successful purchases.
- Ensure contract fulfilment, payments and further additional sales and referrals.
- Review own performance across an agreed range of performance measures and KPIs, taking remedial action where necessary.
- Manage and maintain an effective sales pipeline specifically designed to achieve timely sales against targets and KPIs.
- Build and service a positive relationship with customers and other stakeholders.
- Represent The R&A at PR Events, exhibitions, and conferences in order to build a network of suitable, receptive target clients.
- Attend The Open networking with customers and help to manage on-site experiences.
- Defining Purpose of the Role: Sell-out of all hospitality on Championship days. The calibre of the customer base will be such that customer “churn” will be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Impact on the business: Hits target, or better, on a regular basis and creates sales out of nothing. Does not have an over reliance on inbound sales leads but does conclude sales from inbound leads with a high strike rate and in good time. Demonstrates pace and urgency in conducting activities that drive successful, profitable sales. Has a good handle on how and where to win short-, medium- and long-term business and is particularly adept at winning referrals from satisfied customers.
- Core selling ability: Focuses entirely on motivating customers to buy. Builds value into any proposition or proposal. Uses a mix of persuading and influencing tactics and is highly skilled at the core skills of questioning, listening, summarising and note taking. Is always able to uncover the client’s needs based on current issues or a desirable future state. Always sells what a product or solution does, not what it is.
- Product expertise: Is a real product “champion” and knows the product inside out. Has a thorough understanding of where the product/service is differentiated, what is unique about it and where its inherent strengths lie.
- Manages own performance: Has a clear understanding of, and commitment to, own targets, objectives and KPIs, reviews constantly and has a clear picture of what they need to do to hit target. Has a strong sense of purpose and sets and maintains high standards. Requires little management time and intervention.
- Improves consistently: Acts to improve performance, is very self-aware and analytical. Has a positive attitude toward feedback, training and coaching and uses them to improve performance, never rests on their laurels.
- Thinks about approach: Evaluates own performance outside of any formal management review and often uses other resources to learn and improve performance. Is unafraid of trying new strategies, tactics and plans to drive revenues. Often comes up with innovative plans and creative solutions, is analytical and enjoys successfully overcoming problems and hurdles. Doesn’t always stick to the tried and tested, knows how to change the game when required.
- Acts ethically: Always acts in a fair-minded manner, doesn’t lie or mislead clients deliberately. Has in mind the win-win solution when negotiating.
- Customer focused: Has an in-depth knowledge of key clients and contacts. Is trusted, known, and liked. Easily picks up referrals and follows contacts if they move to new positions or companies. Spends time researching and understanding customers and their markets. Finds out what interest’s contacts and can display like mindedness on a regular basis.
- Team Player: Contributes to the group in order to complete shared tasks, meet collective goals and contributes to team meetings. Actively listens to colleagues, respects ideas, and delivers feedback when required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Proven track record in a sales environment with experience in front line B2B sales by telephone, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Participated in regular sales training.
- The ability and desire to sell.
- Experience in working with CRM systems and contact management systems.
- Experienced user of Microsoft Office packages.
- B2C sales experience.
- Experience of working in the golf industry.
- A degree level qualification (or equivalent) in a relevant subject (e.g. business management, marketing etc.
In addition, the successful candidate should:
- Have highly developed communication, networking and influencing skills.
- Be able to build and maintain relationships with customers and other stakeholders.
- Be strategic in their sales prospects and outbound calling capability.
- Have a passion for and knowledge of golf/sport, with the ability to communicate about the topic effectively.
- Be self-motivated and driven to meet KPIs.
- Have a good level of numeracy.
- Be able to work independently as well as part of a team.
Please note that we are unable to provide sponsorship for a work visa so candidates should ensure they already have or are able to obtain the right to work in the UK before applying.
To apply for this vacancy, please send your c.v. and covering letter, stating your salary expectations to Shanice Sharp at by the closing date of midday on Tuesday 23rd February.
We may close this vacancy before the closing date should we receive sufficient applications.
How your information will be used
If you have any questions about The R&A’s use of your data, please contact us at [Register to View]
[Register to View]