Acushnet Company is the global leader in the design, development, manufacture and distribution of performance-driven golf products. Today, we are the steward of two of the most revered brands in golf – Titleist, one of golf’s leading performance equipment brands, and FootJoy, one of golf’s leading performance wear brands.
We believe we are the most authentic and enduring company in the golf industry. Our mission - to be the performance and quality leader in every golf product category in which we compete!
Associate Product Developer & Materials Specialist will serve as a partner and liaison between Product Development, Design, and Management as it relates to the exploration of new footwear materials and the creation of industry leading products
- Work closely with our product creation teams to gain alignment and a thorough understanding of global footwear initiatives.
- Maintain all category project information and ensure its accuracy.
- Work with design team to ensure accuracy of all tech packs.
- Communicate and enter the appropriate tech packs into the PLM (product lifecycle management) system.
- Apply focused footwear and development knowledge during the product creation process.
- Attend meetings with our product creation team members during all phases of the development process.
- Identify and adhere to all calendar milestones during the process that leads to on-time product confirmation and sample delivery.
- Consistently review and evaluate the status of projects and communicate with product creation team.
- Understand and adhere to development objectives according to critical dates and performance/profitability goals.
- Anticipate potential challenges and plan accordingly to deliver proven and tested product and ensure manufacturing of product concepts for all products.
- Provide materials knowledge and guidance in the exploration and identification of materials specific to footwear with an emphasis on aesthetics, performance, quality, cost and sustainability.
- Manage and curate a robust library of these assets which may include supplier catalogs, seasonal options, technical specifications, testing qualifications, and environmental options.
- Provide palettes, swatches and data across multiple material types that contribute to the category material strategy.
- Organize and maintain material library in Brockton and in PLM (product lifecycle management) system.
- Work with factory partners to ensure all data is entered accurately and efficiently.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the product creation teams during the seasonal development stages to ensure relevant materials are being developed and sourced while adhering to the product creation calendar.
- General support in the entire material development process (sourcing, vendor meetings, developments, marketing etc.) as well as support to the product engineer team.
- Understand FootJoy network of vendors and look for new and innovative partnerships that enhance the end user experience.
- Work with vendors and factory partners to ensure all materials meet FootJoy quality and integrity standards.
- Use your footwear knowledge to interact and collaborate with our product creation teams in an effort to align on product initiatives.
- Build and maintain clear communication channels, both written and verbal, with our Asia development staff to ensure that all relevant details of footwear projects are clearly understood.
- Effectively select and use the most appropriate communication tools to assist in the product creation process from initial concept through to commercialization.
- Work directly with product design and engineering to elevate product craftsmanship, explore construction options, and address cost concerns during the design concept phase.
- Actively learn and maintain connections to our footwear consumer profiles to improve product performance, appearance and success.
- Travel with the product creation team to research industry influencers and develop an in-depth knowledge in regard to consumer, design, trends, production techniques and new technologies.
- Understand the specific needs of our consumers and contribute to our seasonal product briefing process where appropriate.
- Attend material tradeshows and perform competitive research to understand the latest technologies in the sportswear and fashion industries.
- Understand the target golf consumer and his or her needs.
- A 4-year college degree
- Active sportswear background and/or 2-3 years’ experience in footwear design or development related activities.
- Knowledge and proficiency in materials management preferred.
- Knowledge of various types of footwear and constructions a plus.
- Extremely organized and detail oriented.
- Profound know-how in MS office and familiarity with Adobe Illustrator or other Adobe platforms.
- Experience in PLM systems; Centric software is a plus.
- Frequent travel, both domestic and international required.
- Minor physical demands in the form of lifting and carrying shoes/boxes.
- This person must be detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Communication skills must be strong with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely with Far East partners on a daily basis.
- Self-motivation and strong decision-making capabilities are key.
- Individual must also be team oriented and willing to step in where needed.
- Product Calendar Management is critical to success.