Callaway Golf Company is a leader in total performance, premium golf equipment and active lifestyle products while also being a great place to work! We are passionate and push the limits of innovation. We dare to be great while acting with integrity and respect. We stay hungry, yet humble. All while having fun and making golf enjoyable for everyone!
Our company is a blend of experience and diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of building and selling successful initiatives. We are working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission.
The Aerodynamics Engineer will be part of the Golf Ball Research and Development team working on cutting edge technology with state-of-the-art equipment. This position will work within a team to develop innovative surface geometries to improve golf ball aerodynamic performance. This includes engineering activities focused on distance and symmetry improvements, aerodynamic testing, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation, analysis software development, and supporting prototype development. A strong mechanical background and solid understanding of aerodynamics are essential for this position.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Participate in golf ball aerodynamics development, which includes design, CFD simulation, prototype development, experimental testing, and data analysis.
• Plan and lead studies, or design of experiments (DOEs), to characterize and optimize key parameters influencing aerodynamic performance of golf balls.
• Provide direction to CAD designers to develop new golf ball surface geometries and help assess accuracy of tooling used in molding.
• Identify and evaluate new equipment and methods used to inspect, analyze, and measure performance of golf ball designs.
• Work closely with the Golf Ball Research team to support ball construction design as related to aerodynamics and overall ball performance.
• Provide technical support to R&D technicians for prototype development and testing.
• Support Manufacturing and Quality Engineering to scale-up new aero designs in production and to ensure that they meet the design intent.
• Provide project timelines, status, and technical summary reports to management as required.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
• Experience conducting or participating in aerodynamic experiments and analyzing results.
• Experience setting up, meshing, running, and post-processing CFD simulations including comparing simulation results to experiment. Experience with STAR-CCM+ or Ansys Fluent desirable.
• Strong computer programming ability with MATLAB. Experience in C/C++ or Python a plus.
• Fundamental understanding of statistics. Experience with Minitab a plus.
• Mindset to identify problems, research possible causes in depth, and develop practical solutions.
• Ability to convey technical concepts and communicate complex ideas to a broad audience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision in a fast-paced environment.
• Exposure to CNC, CAD/CAM, and injection molding a plus.
• An understanding or passion for golf.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• BS in Engineering (Aerospace, Mechanical, or related); MS desirable.
• Minimum 3 years of experience in an engineering role.
Callaway Golf is an Equal Opportunity Employer.