Callaway Golf Company is a leader in total performance, premium golf equipment and active lifestyle products while also being a great place to work! We are passionate and push the limits of innovation. We dare to be great while acting with integrity and respect. We stay hungry, yet humble. All while having fun and making golf enjoyable for everyone!
Our company is a blend of experience and diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of building and selling successful initiatives. We are working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission.
The Golf Ball R&D Engineer will lead golf ball design for some of Callaway&rsquos highest volume SKUs. This individual will collaborate with our Materials Team, Process Development Team, and Product Performance Team to arrive at Callaway&rsquos next great ball design. We are looking for a person who utilizes excellent engineering design principals while applying new innovative technologies and process upgrades to our product line. Our work environment is complex, fast-moving, and ever-changing. We are hoping to find an experienced incumbent who will thrive in our R&D environment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leading golf ball product design.
- Working to improve golf ball design tools.
- Identifying new materials, technologies, and tools to improve current products, processes and/or equipment.
- Providing technical knowledge to continuous improvement efforts aimed at increasing productivity and yields.
- Participating and occasionally leading the fundamental understanding research of various golf ball fabrication processes, including but not limited to: rubber mixing, compression molding, injection molding, surface prep, and paint application through use of simulation tools, Design of Experiments DOE methodology, and good engineering practices.
- Participating and occasionally leading the development and implementation of new testing techniques and analysis methods to advance golf ball design.
- Providing cost analysis of construction or performance features to determine production viability.
- Providing technical input and guidance in the selection of equipment vendors and visiting potential suppliers as required.
- Participating in project teams.
- Staying abreast of latest technologies, advances in pertinent arenas, and evaluating concepts and technologies outside our industry for application to golf ball designs and fabrication.
- Writing reports and presenting project findings, status, and timelines in project reviews.
- Providing technical direction to R&D Technicians.
- Maintaining a safe working environment.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Direct experience designing studies, analyzing results, and developing recommendations for a path forward towards a final product design, preferred.
- Proven track record of success when making decisions with complex multi-variable 4+ designs, preferred.
- Comfortable with material formulation conversations and exposure to plastic polymer and/or rubber formulation, preferred.
- High-energy, self-motivated engineer with a passion for problem solving and driving continuous improvement.
- Experience utilizing engineering fundamentals and testing methods.
- Ability to trouble-shoot problems using solid engineering methodology.
- Experience working with suppliers in an independent mode to solve technical problems.
- Experience working on assignments that are highly complex in nature where considerable knowledge and independent action is required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
- Experience with R&D labs or in manufacturing facility, preferred.
- Ability to lead technical meetings and report project status.
- Ability to multi-task and use good discernment and prioritization when independently managing one&rsquos time.
- Ability to travel as required to vendors, trade shows, etc. both domestically and abroad.
- Strong interpersonal and clear communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint, required.
- Basic knowledge and experience with Python or Matlab, preferred. Eventual use, required.
- Exposure and experience with SQL databases, preferred.
- Exposure and experience with Lean Methodology and Six Sigma, preferred.
- Understanding and interest in the game of golf, preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS in Engineering or Related Field. Materials Science-related engineering degrees, preferred.
- Minimum 2 years related experience.
Callaway Golf is an Equal Opportunity Employer.