Callaway Golf Company is a leader in total performance, premium golf equipment and active lifestyle products while also being a great place to work! We are passionate and push the limits of innovation. We dare to be great while acting with integrity and respect. We stay hungry, yet humble. All while having fun and making golf enjoyable for everyone!
Our company is a blend of experience and diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of building and selling successful initiatives. We are working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission.
The Aerodynamics Engineer will be part of the Golf Ball Research and Development team working on cutting edge technology with state-of-the-art equipment. This position will be responsible for developing innovative surface geometries and patterns to improve golf ball aerodynamic performance. This includes leading engineering activities focused on theoretical design for distance and symmetry improvement and managing the prototyping projects that stem from that design. Project management includes directing CAD generation, coordinating fabrication of prototype tooling, golf ball molding, and experimental testing of new surface pattern designs, as well as the analysis of test results to draw conclusions and make decisions. This person will also be involved in problem solving aerodynamic related issues. A strong mechanical background and solid understanding of fluid dynamics are essential for this position to develop and maintain state-of-the-art prototyping & testing processes associated with Callaway&rsquos aerodynamic research.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assume technical responsibility for golf ball aerodynamic development which includes the prototype tooling process, experimental testing methods, and data analysis.
- Plan and lead the execution of studies and DOEs to characterize, and optimize key parameters influencing aerodynamic performance of golf balls.
- Provide direction to CAD designers on the design of new golf ball surface geometries based on the statistical analysis of results.
- Identify and evaluate new materials, methods, and/or tools in order to improve current processes and/or equipment.
- Provide technical direction to R&D Technicians in the methods of fabricating aero prototypes for experimental testing.
- Work with Manufacturing and Quality Engineering to scale-up new aero designs in production and to ensure that they meet the design intent.
- Research and stay abreast of new technologies and developments pertaining to fluid dynamics, simulation software, etc. both within and outside the golf industry.
- Be the point-of-contact with Universities or research institutions in joint development projects pertaining to fundamental aerodynamic research.
- Provide project timelines, status, and technical summary reports to management as required.
- Work closely with other members of the Golf Ball Research Team to solve complex multi-variable problems that may or may not be aero related. These could be ball construction and/or ball design related.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Direct experience conducting experiments and analyzing results in order to draw conclusions
- Ability to trouble-shoot problems using solid engineering methodology
- Ability to lead technical meetings and communicate complex ideas to a broad audience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills
- Highly organized, and self-motivated, with strong multi-tasking ability
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in a fast paced environment
- Flexible with the ability to adapt to changing environments and priorities
- High-energy, self-motivated technical leader with a passion for engineering and a drive for continuous improvement.
- Quick learning curve essential
- Experience using statistical tools required Minitab ideal
- Hands-on experience with CNC machining, CAD/CAM process Unigraphics
- Programming experience with Matlab strongly desired
- Programming experience in C, C+, C++, or C-sharp
- Experience with/exposure to Injection Molding
- Working knowledge of Six Sigma techniques
- Working knowledge of Design of Experiments DOE methodology
- An understanding of and passion for golf
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS in Engineering Aerospace, Mechanical, or related graduate degree ideal
- Minimum 3 years&rsquo experience in an engineering role
Callaway Golf is an Equal Opportunity Employer.