Callaway Golf Company is a leader in total performance, premium golf equipment and active lifestyle products while also being a great place to work! We are passionate and push the limits of innovation. We dare to be great while acting with integrity and respect. We stay hungry, yet humble. All while having fun and making golf enjoyable for everyone!
Our company is a blend of experience and diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of building and selling successful initiatives. We are working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission.
As a candidate you feel comfortable with evaluating materials, developing products, and playing an active role in creating fundamental and mechanistic understanding for Callaway’s next generation of golf balls. You will have the opportunity to work on the full project development cycle: from the research stage, through development, into production and improvements for current products. You enjoy collaboration and thrive in cross-functional teams.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Select, design, and evaluate a variety of materials (e.g., thermoplastics, elastomers, fillers, etc.) to determine the best combination of materials for specific golf-ball constructions/products
- Determine best testing methods for materials under consideration, which includes designing new test methods and/or recommending new test equipment
- Study structure-property-processing relationships by fabricating, testing, and analyzing new golf-ball formulations using R&D prototyping equipment
- Employ sound scientific and engineering principles to define materials specifications for production, perform advanced problem-solving, and implement new process improvements
- Create and provide project timelines, status updates, and technical-summary reports, as required
- Work closely with external material suppliers to develop materials for new and existing products
- Document our processes (SOP, etc.) and provide support to product development teams working towards the creation of new golf-ball products
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment
- Strong understanding of golf-ball materials and processes preferred
- Strong knowledge in polymer characterization (e.g. rheology, thermal analysis) and processing (e.g. injection molding, extrusion)
- Working knowledge of test methods and standards, and the behavior of key polymer families.
- Strong experience with design for and testing of polyurethane and fiber-reinforced polymers required.
- Experience with the use of polymer materials in injection molding processes is strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to work with suppliers in an independent mode to solve complex technical problems.
- Ability to lead technical meetings and report project status.
- Good working knowledge of office software products (MS Windows, Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- MS or PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer science, materials science, or a closely related field preferred, or equivalent experience
- 5 plus years’ experience in product development
- Experience using structure-properties relationships to develop, and improve, product performance
- Experience using statistical tools required: Minitab ideal, JMP a plus
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
Callaway Golf in An Equal Opportunity Employer.