We currently have an opportunity on our growing Horticulture Team for an Horticulturist.
The Horticulturist will provide support and guidance to the Nursery department to include pruning recommendations, chemical applications and landscape improvements through proven, sound horticulture practices to ensure the landscape is maintained at the highest standard.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Daily scouting of the landscape plant material to identify pruning, replacement and maintenance needs, reporting the findings to the Plant Healthcare Supervisor.
- Recommendation of management plans and schedules to address observed issues.
- Assists with the development and updating of plant catalogs relative to recording pruning, fertilization, treatments, bloom timing and plant inventories.
- Assists with the development and care of pruning strategies.
- Assists with the coordination of ordering, scheduling and maintenance of all plant material associated with the annual and tournament flower program.
- Assists with the scheduling, implementation and diagnostics of bi-annual soil samples and any other samples needed.
- Develops and recommends soil therapy programs, to include: root pruning, air tech, air spade and drill and fill needs.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure proper recording of applications and treatments.
- Monitor and assist with the application of pesticides and fertilizers.
- Responsible for maintaining pesticide and fertilizer inventory. Report inventory needs and orders to the Plant Healthcare supervisor.
- Responsible for monitoring maintenance requirements for all fertilizer and pesticide application equipment.
- Assists with the development and recommendation of fertilizer programs for trees, ornamentals and flowers.
- Assists with the development, recommendation and implementation of a pre and post emergent weed program.
- Institutes “IPM” practices through conservative pesticide applications.
- Assists with the safe storage of all pesticides and fertilizers.
- Assists with the evaluation of existing landscape presentations; make recommendations for improvement based on aesthetic and horticultural knowledge.
- Observe and report any anomalies associated with landscape water requirements to PHC supervisor.
- Attending continuing education programs related to the horticulture industry, as deemed appropriate by management.
- Assists the Plant Healthcare Supervisor with research of new products, plant material and horticultural practices; including experimental trials.
- Perform debris clean-up.
- Support a complete grounds maintenance program by performing basic departmental responsibilities.
- Perform other duties that are deemed by management to be an integral part of the job.
- Tournament specific responsibilities to assist with completion of designated tasks.
Qualifications (required unless stated otherwise):
- Must have solid knowledge of planting, cultivating, pruning, and caring for plants, shrubs, and trees, including herbicides and pest control methods & material.
- Knowledge of the proper methods for applying pesticides and fertilizers.
- Knowledge of annuals, ornamentals, trees, weeds that are relative to the Southeast.
- Knowledge of theories, practices, and principles of Horticulture, Entomology and Arboriculture
- Ability to work well under pressure and challenging deadlines
- Organizational, multi-tasking, and planning skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently, set and meets objectives, and coordinates objectives with other members of the staff.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Working knowledge of basic landscape maintenance.
- Ability to operate basic landscaping hand tools and small equipment
- Knowledge and ability to apply technical horticulture skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field and 3 years of experience, or
- Associate’s degree in Horticulture or related field and 5 years of experience.
- Landscaping experience preferred.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and successfully completes the Club’s internal motor vehicle training program.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain a current and valid Georgia Certified Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s license within 90 days.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain a Certified Arborist license.
Augusta National Golf Club offers a competitive salary and benefit package to include:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability (paid by employer)
- Pension Plan (paid by employer)
- Paid Holidays