Acushnet Company is the global leader in the design, development, manufacture and distribution of performance-driven golf products. Today, we are the steward of two of the most revered brands in golf – Titleist, one of golf’s leading performance equipment brands, and FootJoy, one of golf’s leading performance wear brands.
We believe we are the most authentic and enduring company in the golf industry. Our mission - to be the performance and quality leader in every golf product category in which we compete.
The Patent Counsel will work within the FootJoy, Golf Gear and KJUS patent teams and partner with clients to strengthen the company’s patent portfolio. In this role, you will be responsible for reviewing invention disclosure submissions, preparing and prosecuting patent applications, and assisting with product clearances. You will work closely and communicate regularly with scientific, technical, legal and business team members.
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications directed to footwear, outerwear, and golf gear technologies
- Conduct prior art searches for footwear, outerwear, and golf gear technologies
- Assist in the preparation of product clearances, and non-infringement and invalidity opinions
- Support the invention disclosure submission process
- Provide patent-related training/presentations to educate and engage R&D, Marketing and Operations teams
- Degree in mechanical engineering or similar scientific discipline strongly preferred
- JD from an accredited law school and licensed to practice in at least one state or the District of Columbia is required
- Registration to practice before the USPTO is required
- 3-5 years of experience in patent practice preferred, ideally preparing and prosecuting applications in mechanical- or physics-based technologies
- Strong knowledge of patent law necessary, as well as proficiency in patent application preparation and prosecution
- Must be able to work independently as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Must have outstanding communication skills