Acushnet Company is the global leader in the design, development, manufacture and distribution of performance-driven golf products. Today, we are the steward of two of the most revered brands in golf – Titleist, one of golf’s leading performance equipment brands, and FootJoy, one of golf’s leading performance wear brands.
We believe we are the most authentic and enduring company in the golf industry. Our mission - to be the performance and quality leader in every golf product category in which we compete!
The Associate Manager Footwear Performance Lab role is to augment the footwear creation process by organizing the daily activities of the Footwear Performance Lab (FPL), independently conducting a wide range of testing, analysis, and interpretation from innovation to quality assurance, and maintaining and growing FPL capability to address daily Innovation, Advanced Development and In-Line activities of the FJ Footwear group under the supervision of the Principal Footwear Innovation Engineer
- Testing Operate a full range of footwear test equipment and laboratory instruments to drive footwear testing and analysis activities (e.g., mechanical, biomechanical, tribological, psychophysical, etcetera).
- Document and prepare footwear prototypes, equipment, and human subjects for testing.
- Remain current on standardized footwear test methods such as ASTM and SATRA and bring them in-house as appropriate.
- Develop state-of-the-art in-house non-standard test methods.
- Prepare detailed Standard Operating Procedures for all lab equipment and protocols.
- Train others in methods and use of footwear lab equipment.
- Data Reduction and Analysis Conduct standard methods for data post-processing and analysis.
- Develop and conduct nonstandard methods for data post-processing and analysis.
- Maintain a database of unreduced and analyzed data. Identify and perform appropriate statistical analyses.
- Lab Functionality (1) specify and procure both standard and custom footwear test equipment, instrumentation, and tools, (2) design and build custom lab apparatuses as necessary to support Footwear objectives, and (3) improve the facility to support the FPL function as a place of investigation, education, and inspiration. Through self-management, (1) maintain footwear test equipment and laboratory instruments in working, calibrated, safe, and clean condition, (2) track and maintain an inventory of supplies, (3) train others in maintenance of FPL test equipment, and (4) plan for future (1 to 5 years) needs and work with Leadership and Facilities to ensure confirmed change plans are completed in a timely manner.
- Lab Scheduling & Training Organize the daily activities of the FPL to service multiple groups.
- Ensure the lab is ready for specific events such as Sales presentations, Customer Tours, etcetera.
- Provide training to Acushnet personnel who have been approved to use specific lab equipment. Supervise personnel when using lab equipment.
- Interpretation and Reporting Interpret the significance of project test results with respect to consumer benefit driven objectives and make product recommendations.
- Write project summary bulletins and reports.
- Assist with creation of presentations and/or locate images to help convey significance of project results to a variety of departments with different backgrounds and objectives.
- Present to specific audiences and dialogue with recipients to help inform and direct fact-based decision-making.
- Miscellaneous Assist the Principal Footwear Innovation Engineer with project designed experiments.
- Generate POs, prepare and mail samples for outside laboratory testing and work with Leadership to ensure appropriate financial support.
- Ensure products are produced in accordance with FootJoys performance standards.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Human Movement Science, with emphasis on the kinematics and kinetics of human gait and/or exercise physiology.
- 4+ years (or 2+ years and master’s degree) technical experience working in a footwear lab.
- Experience investigating footwear performance and running bench tests and/or human subjects testing is required.
- Expertise operating and maintaining plantar pressure, impact, traction, flex, and torsion testing equipment is preferred.
- Experience with psychophysical testing and wear testing is preferred.
- A passion for golf/sport and footwear performance is preferred.
- Proficiency at conducting footwear biomechanical, mechanical, and psychophysical testing and familiarity with associated lab equipment operation and maintenance.
- Operate technical equipment, computer hardware and software.
- Diagnose technical problems with equipment and procedures then develop solutions.
- General knowledge of footwear functional requirements, construction methods and manufacturing operations.
- Strong desire to learn more about footwear function, construction and manufacturing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Work under pressure, meet strict timelines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Balance progress and completion of urgent projects with important projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to learn from, inform, instruct and influence various levels of management and employees within the organization as well as vendors and worldwide personnel.
Acushnet Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled.
Acushnet Company offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefit package consisting of medical & dental; 401 savings plan; tuition assistance; life & disability insurance; vacations/holidays; on site wellness facility; and generous product discounts. Visit the Acushnet Company employment website for more information (http://employment.acushnetgolf.com).