The centerpiece of Fairwood Golf & Country Club is an 18-hole, Bill Teufel-designed golf course. The tree-lined, par 71 course opened in 1967 and is lauded by members and guests for being fun to play, having smooth and fast greens and consistent great pace of play. The accompanying practice facility, with a large range, huge practice green and short game area, is perfect for members who are focused on improving their game. Fairwood’s new state-of-the-art fitness center is spacious and offers everything from weight training and cardio machines to group fitness and yoga classes. The fitness center’s pool complex is the newest and largest in Washington State and provides members of all ages with a first-class recreational and competitive sport amenity. Members enjoy the heated eight-lane, junior Olympic-d pool for lap swims, open family swims and competitions.
The General Manager (GM) is hired by the Board of Directors, reports to the President, and is responsible for carrying out the Board's policies. The General Manager will be held accountable for all areas of the Club and will ensure there is synergy between all Club activities. He/She becomes the Board's bridge to the staff and committees and enables the Board to avoid the intricacies and short-term focus that is the staff's responsibility. This will allow the Board to work more exclusively on the holistic and long-term focus of Club governance. He/She will prepare such special reports as may be requested by the Board and will report on the effectiveness of the Club's policies, operations and new programs.
The characteristics and key attributes being sought by Fairwood Golf & Country Club’s GM Selection Committee in a successful GM include honesty, straightforwardness, integrity, accountability, leadership and dedication. He/She must demonstrate superior interpersonal relations skills, be a good communicator, be administratively competent and be able to communicate the Club's vision. The ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders and Board members is essential. Experience in working with management company resources and support is preferred.
• The GM is supported by Troon in a collaborative partnership with the Board in achieving the Club's mission. He/She also assists the Board in developing a format for assessing the progress of the Club and reviews any issues of concern with the Board.
• The GM keeps the Board apprised of the organizational climate, identifying problems either actual or anticipated, communicates with the Directors, and offers consultative assistance from Troon as well as shares responsibility with the Board for the club's organizational development.
• The GM has ALL club department heads reporting to him/her. He/She will assume or delegate the duties and responsibilities of the department heads if they are absent or disabled. The GM will complete all responsibilities and duties as prescribed in the bylaws of the Club and perform other duties as directed by the Board of Directors.
• The GM monitors long- and short-term objectives, financial reports and prepares a financial plan for the club.
• The GM sets the standard for effective management, maintaining a high level of ethics, prudence, creativity, productivity and demonstrating a concern for the supervision and development of the staff.
• The GM helps the Board to arrive at a consensus about important matters by providing Troon resources, pertinent information and interacts with the Board to investigate more efficient operating procedures and new club activities.
• The GM, supported by Troon, apprises the Governing Board of trends, changing circumstances and unexpected occurrences that could call for innovation or adaptation of the strategic plan.
• The GM helps to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services and communications. The GM oversees all programs, services and activities to ensure that objectives are met.
• The GM coordinates and edits all membership and public relations communications.
• The GM maintains a comprehensive knowledge of operational procedures and principles used throughout the club and takes responsibility in developing, maintaining and documenting consistent procedures.
FAIRWOOD GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB
GENERAL MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Manages all aspects of the Club including its activities and the relationships between the Club and its Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government and industry. Coordinates and administers the Club's policies as defined by its Board of Directors. Supported by Troon, develops operating policies and procedures and directs the work of all department managers. Implements and monitors the budget, monitors the quality of the Club's products and services and ensures maximum member, guest and staff satisfaction. Secures and protects the Club's assets, including facilities and equipment.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Implements general policies established by the Board of Directors; directs their administration and execution.
• Plans, develops and approves specific operational policies, programs, procedures and methods in concert with general policies.
• Coordinates the development of the Club’s long-range and annual (business) plans.
• Develops, maintains and administers a sound organizational plan; initiates improvements as necessary
• Supported by Troon Human Resources, establishes Troon personnel policy; initiates and monitors policies relating to personnel actions and training and professional development programs.
• Maintains membership with the Club Managers Association of America and/or the PGA of America and other professional associations. Attends conferences, workshops and meetings to keep abreast of current information and developments in the field.
• Coordinates development of operating and capital budgets according to the budget calendar; monitors monthly and other financial statements for the club; takes effective corrective action as required.
• Coordinates and serves as ex-officio member of appropriate club committees.
• Welcomes new club members; "meets and greets" all club members as practical during their visits to the club.
• Supported by Troon Development resources, provides advice and recommendations to the President and committees about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment and services not provided in approved plans and/or budgets.
• Consistently ensures that the Club is operated in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
• Oversees the care and maintenance of all the Club's physical assets and facilities.
• Coordinates the marketing and membership relations programs to promote the Club's services and facilities to potential and present members.
• Ensures the highest standards for food, beverage, sports and recreation, entertainment and other Club services.
• Establishes and monitors compliance with purchasing policies and procedures.
• Reviews and initiates programs to provide members with a variety of popular events.
• Analyzes financial statements, manages cash flow and establishes controls to safeguard funds. Reviews income and costs relative to goals; takes corrective action as necessary.
• Works with subordinate department heads to schedule, supervise and direct the work of all employees.
• Attends meetings of the club's Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
• Participates in outside activities that are judged as appropriate and approved by the Board of Directors to enhance the prestige of the club; broadens the scope of the club's operation by fulfilling the public obligations of the club as a participating member of the community.
• Reports member infractions to the board for necessary action.
• Properly manages all aspects of the club's activities to ensure and maintain the quality of products and services provided by the Club.
• Serves as liaison between all management staff and the board.
• Coordinates inter- and intra-committee activities.
• Writes policy and rule directives or approves those written by department heads.
• Has ultimate authority over inter-departmental matters and implements policies concerning employeeemployer relations.
• Develops, maintains and disseminates a basic management philosophy to guide all Club personnel toward optimal operating results, employee morale and member satisfaction.
• Prepares reports and other support material for committee and Board use.
• Negotiates and recommends Board approval for contracts.
• Provides for and manages use of the Club's equipment, space and materials.
• Establishes and approves workloads, work methods and performance standards.
• Maintains relations with police, fire, liquor control board, health department and other governmental agencies.
• Directs purchasing, receiving, storage, issuing, preparation and control of all products, supplies and equipment. Ensures club is benefiting from Troon vendor relationships and national accounts.
• Ensures proper cleanliness and sanitation of all club facilities and environments.
• Handles emergencies such as fires, accidents and breaches of security or house rules promptly and in person. Emphas prevention through training, inspection and preventive enforcement.
• Convenes and presides over meetings with departmental managers; conducts all-facility personnel meetings.
• Gives direction to and works closely with vendors, outside contractors, firms and individuals providing services to the club.
• Directs the writing and publishing of the club newsletter and plans for intra-club public relations.
• Performs other duties as directed by the President or Board of Directors.
Club President, Board of Directors and Troon Senior Vice President.
Food & Beverage Director; Business Manager; Membership Director; Head Golf Professional; Golf Course Superintendent; Member Relations + Communications Coordinator; Aquatics Staff.
• Bachelor’s degree (BA) from four-year College or University; or equivalent combination of education and experience. CMAA or PGA certification preferred.