Deering Bay Yacht and Country Club sits on over 220 acres of land rich in history, flora and fauna. Located in what used to be known as Cutler, Deering Bay Yacht and Country Club has a reputation as one of the top private clubs in the Miami area. Deering Bay's exceptional amenities include South Florida's only Arnold Palmer signature golf course, measuring 6,740 yards of beautiful Florida landscape. The club also offers some of the best dining and service in the area, seven Har-Tru clay tennis courts, fitness center, yoga studio, junior Olympic d pool and provides great social events. Within walking distance from the clubhouse are our three private, deep-water marinas offering dockage space for vessels from 25 to 120 ft. in length.
The General Manager reports directly to the VP of Operations and to the Board of Directors of the Club. As the senior management leader on the property, the General Manager is expected to provide active leadership to the management team, be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the operations of the club, monitor and adjust financial performance and provide guidance to the Board on governance matters. Qualified candidates will thrive in a hospitality environment, will have a strong financial background and be highly focused on providing superior service for members and their guests. Prior experience with club renovation projects and re-positioning is highly desired.
• Develops, manages and implements long term/strategic, capital and business plans, operating reports and general policies and procedures for the Club.
• Responsible for the timely development of accurate annual budgets for each direct report departments. Coordinates the preparation of the Club’s comprehensive annual business plan with all departments. Collaborates and assists key managers with developing, monitoring and achieving business and operating plans.
• Serves as main club liaison related to the renovation project, including interfacing with all stakeholders, maintaining the Board informed of progress, providing active insight and management of the process from an operations standpoint.
• Prepares and monitors monthly and quarterly financial reports/statements, revenue goals and expenses as well as generating various (weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual) business reports and forecasts.
• Monitors business volume forecast in each department and advises changes to plans or programs, in areas of manpower, productivity, COS, operating costs and other elements. Recommends effective corrective action, as needed.
• Leads regular department head meetings and financial review meetings aimed at ensuring coordination of all areas of the club and at addressing pending issues as a team. Promotes active communication in all areas, collaboration and accountability.
• Maintains close contact with members on a daily basis to ensure member satisfaction expectations are exceeded. Oversees the resolution of member, guest and employee feedback and challenges in a timely manner.
• Ensures the highest standards are achieved through adhering to proper operating procedures in all related areas.
• Ensures that the team is exceeding member expectations in the F&B department, oversees the management team responsible for delivering an excellent F&B experience which appeals to members for a la carte, events and banquets.
• Oversees the execution of a strategic membership development program designed to increase total membership count and membership dues revenue. Monitors sales and marketing results to ensure goals are met. Supports and guides team with the creation of marketing programs to promote the facility’s services to potential customers.
• Ensures Club is operated in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
• Ensures compliance with purchasing policies and procedures and that club is benefiting from Troon vendor relationships and national accounts.
• Oversees the care and maintenance of all club physical assets and facilities. Oversees the coordination of property-wide maintenance efforts between the building management department and senior managers.
• Reinforces with key department heads the need for training programs to include but not limited to member service, food and beverage service training, train the trainer programs, safety and other training programs.
• Monitors the Club’s overall safe-work practices and coordinates ongoing safety education programs and ensures compliance in all departments. Emphas prevention through training, inspection and preventive enforcement.
• Handles emergencies such as fires, accidents and breaches of security or house rules promptly and in person.
• Develops and maintains a positive management philosophy to guide personnel toward optimal operating results, employee morale and member satisfaction. Reviews policies relating to personnel actions & training along with professional development programs.
• Updates and oversees implementation of policies and procedures for direct report departments, including compliance with all company standards. Recommends improvements as necessary.
• Responsible for interviewing, hiring, training, planning, assigning, and directing work, evaluating performance, rewarding, and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Directly manages department members that may include, but is not limited to: Head Professional, Golf Course Superintendent, Membership Director, Controller, Food and Beverage Director, Tennis Director, Building Maintenance Director, etc.
• Assures that effective orientation and training are given to each new associate.
• Maintains membership with the Club Managers Association of America and other professional associations. Attends conferences, workshops and meetings to keep abreast of current information and developments in the field.
•Bachelor’s Degree preferred; 5-10 years’ experience and/or the equivalent in experience and training in a private, member-owned club/space.
• Certified Club Manager candidate and/or Class A PGA Member or similar qualification is strongly preferred.
• Strong financial acumen highly preferred.
• Possesses strong leadership, hospitality and human relations skills.
• Presents a professional appearance and demeanor in all exchanges.
• Must have exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Must have excellent organizational and time management skills, along with the ability to coordinate details and prioritize the work on a daily and weekly basis.