General Manager | Goswick Golf Club
Location: Goswick, Berwick-upon-Tweed, England
Closing Date: 15 June 2021
Goswick Golf Club is a private members’ club located approximately midway between Newcastle and Edinburgh just south of Berwick-upon-Tweed along the Northumberland Coast. Its initial 9-hole course was opened for play in 1890 and was subsequently extended to 18 holes, then lengthened and strengthened by the renowned James Braid in the 1930s.
Our more than 500 members recognize just how fortunate they are to call this authentic links course, maintained to a consistently high standard, their golfing home. National Club Golfer has ranked it the 50th best course of all kinds in England, Golf World has included it on its list of the top 100 links courses in Great Britain and Ireland and Golf Monthly considers it to be one of the 200 best courses of all kinds in GB&I. And the R&A has selected it as a regional Open qualifying venue through 2023. Our website gives more detail www.goswickgolfclub.com
Yet, for all our past success, we believe Goswick’s best is yet to come….. we have a vision which will take the club into the next decade and beyond
……..to help us get there, we have created the new position of General Manager.
This is a position for a qualified, experienced manager with drive, passion and commitment to fulfil and realise Goswick’s ambitions for the future. If this is you and you have the ideal combination of hands-on practical experience, deft managerial acumen and inspired visionary leadership we would like to hear from you.
The General Manager’s mandate will be to maintain and enhance the club’s profitability, reputation and status through astute, efficient and proactive management of all day-to-day operations as well as wider strategic planning.
Working closely with the Board, Club Professional, Club Secretary and Course Manager you will lift Goswick to even higher levels of acclaim and success to the benefit of members and visitors alike
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the Club
- Providing input into the development of the Club’s strategic direction as well motivating and supporting key personnel to achieve the Board’s vision and objectives
- Preparing and managing annual business plans, performance objectives and budgets to achieve the vision efficiently and cost-effectively
- Identifying workforce requirements required to achieve the club’s current and future objectives
- Recruiting, inducting and training of all staff
- Inspiring all personnel to consistently deliver excellent customer service through the development and regular review of standard operating procedures
- Maintaining all physical assets, inventory and resources of the club
- Developing and reviewing in coordination with other senior managers a coordinated sales and marketing strategy for the club
- Coordinating with the Catering Manager the catering needs for all club functions
- Identifying and developing value-added products and services to enhance the customer experience
- Communicating effectively with external organisations, individuals and agencies
We are looking for someone with:
- An MBA or equivalent degree
- Experience and understanding of agronomy and ecology management
- The proven ability to provide and maintain excellent customer service
- Competency in Microsoft Word and Excel, data retrieval and some knowledge of EPOS software systems
- An understanding of social media platforms and website management
- Strong commercial acumen with the ability to deliver value for money
- An understanding of and commitment to equality and diversity in a golf club environment
- An inspirational, confident, engaging and supportive coaching management style
- Passion about all aspects of golf and club management
- The ability to think their feet to respond effectively to the unexpected
- A desire to continuously advance their knowledge and capabilities
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the experience and skills of the applicant is on offer. There is no club accommodation available with this role.