General Manager at The City Club of Washington DC. District of Columbia.
A Private Club, its facility, services and staff constitute an environment dedicated to providing recognition, quality service, overall satisfaction and value to its Members. The General Managers primary purpose is to assure all actions are coordinated to exceed Member expectations, while achieving the Clubs revenue objectives and satisfying the financial covenants and contractual obligations.
The single indicator of a General Managers success is continued growth, achieved through effective marketing, sales, Member Relations and operational quality, as measured by growth in actual net Members, Adjusted EBITDA, Net Dues and Initiation Fees.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The General Manager is accountable for setting direction, allocating resources and ensuring execution in the Club environment. Success will be evaluated by demonstrating the following:
- To secure and maintain active, positive involvement from the Board of Governors by: sharing the "vision" for the Club and the means to achieve it gaining its support to build a culture of Member focus, quality and service soliciting input on specific issues which affect their Members reporting the "state of the Club" on a regular basis through Board Meetings demonstrating respect and recognition for each Board Member in any contacts with the Club.
- Keeping the Board of Governors regularly informed as to the state of the Club through well-organized, documented and effective Board Meetings.
- Develop aggressive sales, marketing and net revenue plans and direct successful implementation, following established financial plans and revenue guidelines in all areas.
- Responsible for setting club goals, both qualitative and quantitative. Develop business and financial plans for club. Monitor club performance according to plan on a daily/weekly basis and taking appropriate actions as needed to assure expected revenues are realized from each operating area in the Club. Work with Department Heads to develop and implement actions to ensure clubs performance from each operating area to plan.
- Ensure all expense control systems are in place with close monitoring of all department expenses including revenue to payroll ratio. Ensure appropriate forecasting systems are utilized.
- Maintain exceptional Member Relations and facilities by creating a quality environment through staffing, programming, service operations, and maintenance.
- Actively market Club Memberships, Member services and facilities to attract new Members and achieve revenue objectives.
- Identify programming opportunities for Member events in all operational areas, i.e., food beverage, /golf/tennis/athletic and other recreational facilities, as applicable, that satisfy on-going Member needs and implement to achieve revenue objectives. Actively utilize Member Committees and the Board of Governors.
- Develop departmental sales plan, in conjunction with the Department Heads and Regional Staff, including specific tactics for revenue generation. Motivate sales staff to achieve revenue goals per departmental sales plan by conducting weekly sales meetings. Involve all club personnel in generating revenue through constant communication on the importance of continuous income stream. Research and analyze current and future market areas, and develop sales strategy based on data.
- Monitor Member attrition. Develop action plans to curtail Member attrition and maintain it at the lowest possible level. Personally contacting resigning Member to ascertain the reasons for resigning, with documentation.
- Works with the Director of GCM/Superintendent to ensure quality of course, maintaining of budget and compliance to company standards, as well as environmental regulation compliance.
- Ensure that the club meets all debt and lease term obligations, as applicable. Fiduciary responsibility to ensure that the club meets all contractual obligations.
- Ensure the club is not placed in a position of liability by acts of negligence or poor management decisions.
- Completing all required financial and administrative reporting/audits accurately and on time through the Office Administrator (OA) and/or Regional Accounting Manager (RAM). Assuring all accounting practices are in compliance with GAAP and ClubCorps established accounting policies and procedures.
- Directing the OA to effectively manage accounts receivable and collections. Assist with collections that escalate to suspension.
- Responsible for managing and setting the expectations that Department Heads will identify and develop employee development plans in all departments for career advancement through the use of performance review systems, cross training, and goal setting.
- Coordinating the People Strategy needs from each Club operating area into an organized, well-defined human resources plan which identifies recruiting and placement targets, specific actions to address developmental needs, recognition and training objectives
- Recruit, select, develop and continually evaluate a qualified staff of Department Heads to understand the relationships between value, Member Satisfaction and Member retention/attrition, while achieve departmental revenue objectives and net margins.
- Create a motivating work environment, centered upon teamwork and mutual respect that is expected to focus upon Member and Employee Partner Satisfaction, while exceeding the Clubs revenue objectives.
- Because of the fluctuating demands of the companys operation, it may be necessary that each Employee Partner perform a multitude of different functions therefore, as an essential part of your position, you will be expected to help others when the occasion arises, just as other Employee Partners are expected to help you. Accordingly, you may be expected to perform other tasks as needed or as directed.
- Adhere to all of the various company, club and department written mandatory standards of operations, policies and procedures, manuals, memos, oral instructions, etc., all of which go to make up the essential functions of the job.
- Responsible for conduct oneself as a representative for the Companys management team, by visibly supporting and implementing policy and demonstrating high standards of ethics and integrity with Members, peers and employees..
- Responsible for maintaining good conduct and safe working habits while in all areas and assuring that others are acting safely. Audit assets, maintenance procedures and safety practices in each Club operating area through the staff of Department Heads to assure a secure, safe environment is maintained.
- Apply initiative to achieve personal/professional growth as a member of the Companys management team and maintain professional certifications as they may apply to the specific product line.
- Ensure all Club Policies Procedures are adhered to and ensure all Club staff are accountable for compliance of theses Policies Procedures.
- Assuring each Club Employee Partner in high Member contact areas has successfully completed training and is actively promoting Club programs/events.
- Actively participate in Club events, acting to facilitate Members to create their own value, making use of significant personal contact as a means of gathering feedback.
- Take initiative to solve problems, utilizing all available resources including regional and corporate staff.
- Ensure service recovery programs are in place, staff is properly training to execute and being properly utilized as set forth by management.
- Personally handle serious Member complaints/concerns quickly and effectively to ensure issues are resolved to the Members satisfaction.
- Lead and motivate others to achieve expected outcomes.
- Manage time effectively.
- Maintaining an "open door" and providing a forum for Employee Partners to voice concerns and provide input in confidence and without fear of reprisals.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: 5+ years in club mgt or related field
- EDUCATION: Bachelors Degree - In Hospitality Mgt, Business Admin, and Marketing, Economics preferred and/or CMAA certification, Food Mgt Professional certification
- CERTIFICATION/LICENSE: Certified as GM by Regional Staff.
- BUDGET CONTROL/RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible for up to million to multi-million dollar business. Errors in judgment regarding expense allocation could seriously affect the profit/loss position of their departments.
- SECURITY/CONFIDENTIALITY: Deals with highly confidential material (ie. Member/Employee Data)
- PERFORMANCE STANDARDS: Computer literacy required/Spreadsheet knowledge required. Computer skills, good communication skills, ability to be a strong leader
- WORKING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENT: Professional indoor office/club environment.