Callaway Golf Company is a leader in total performance, premium golf equipment and active lifestyle products while also being a great place to work! We are passionate and push the limits of innovation. We dare to be great while acting with integrity and respect. We stay hungry, yet humble. All while having fun and making golf enjoyable for everyone!
Our company is a blend of experience and diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of building and selling successful initiatives. We are working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission.
This leadership position on the golf ball R&D team is responsible for managing a team of technical personnel that develop innovative technologies used to improve the performance of our products. S/he will drive initiatives focused on materials, concepting and product development that support future launches across our entire golf ball portfolio. Our golf ball business is growing and we are seeking a leader that can engage technically with their team, is focused on results and is passionate about growing the business.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a technical team through the exploration of new materials and constructions that lead to innovative technologies related to golf ball.
- Promote the learning mindset with fundamental understanding research in several golf ball related areas: materials, construction, ball flight and the golfer.
- Develop innovation, product and people strategies to support business objectives.
- Contribute to overall department planning, priorities and foster teamwork.
- Align product development activities to manufacturing needs to ensure on-time launch.
- Support the development and implementation of simulation tools to advance golf ball design.
- Lead capital projects focused on research and innovation as it pertains to golf ball development, and provide guidance in the selection of vendors, including visits to potential suppliers as required.
- Develop goals and measures in order to support team objectives and manage resources so progress aligns with key milestones.
- Manage innovation calendar and align with various departments to meet future technical objectives. .
- High level of engagement within the RD team and departments across the business.
- Seek and advise R&D Leadership of new intellectual property opportunities.
- Meet with personnel to review progress on projects, assign new projects and reprioritize existing projects as needed.
- Provide appropriate feedback to individuals on an on-going basis to manage performance, and also conduct annual performance reviews, goal setting, and tracking.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Ability to manage cross-functional technical teams, individual contributors and align around key objectives.
- Strong interpersonal effectiveness, project management and data-based decision making.
- Understanding of engineering principles and knowledge of polymer science and processing.
- Detailed understanding of golf ball design variables and how they influence performance and cost.
- Detailed understanding of golf ball manufacturing including rubber processing, injection molding, and finishing operations.
- Detailed understanding of golf ball performance metrics and durability evaluation methods.
- Detailed understanding of the patent process and intellectual property analysis.
- Detailed understanding of material properties, how these properties influence performance and processing limitations.
- Experience with experimental design, execution and analyzing results to generate conclusions.
- Ability to work beyond functional boundaries to identify opportunities, develop and implement solutions to improve company performance.
- Strong statistical skills and understanding with knowledge of basic DOE, SPC, and basic problem-solving tools, including Six-Sigma. Ability to analyze and present complex data in clear and efficient manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentations and public speaking.
- Self-starter that takes the initiative to start, generate team buy-in and successfully complete assignments without direct supervision.
- Must be able to work on assignments that are highly complex in nature where considerable knowledge and independent action is required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
- Considers and understands financial impact of decisions.
- Good knowledge of customer base, including influencers and retailers, and consumers. General understanding of the global golf markets, preferences and trends.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in an engineering discipline (mechanical, materials, chemical, etc.) from a four-year college or university.
- Advanced degree in engineering discipline preferred
- Minimum 7 years total experience
- Minimum 2 years experience as a Manager or in a similar role with direct supervisory or managerial experience
Callaway Golf is an Equal Opportunity Employer.