This job is archived
Callaway Golf Company is a leader in total performance, premium golf equipment and active lifestyle products while also being a great place to work! We are passionate and push the limits of innovation. We dare to be great while acting with integrity and respect. We stay hungry, yet humble. All while having fun and making golf enjoyable for everyone!
Our company is a blend of experience and diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of building and selling successful initiatives. We are working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission.
The Sr Manager, Golf Ball Research is responsible for providing leadership to the Research Team within Golf Ball R&D. This role reports to Director, Golf Ball R&D and will drive the creation, development, and implementation of research initiatives focused on innovative golf ball concepts and deeper consumer insights. This role will focus on fundamental understanding of golf ball design and performance with an eye towards cutting edge innovation, while leading teams and individual R&D specialists to explore concepts, develop simulation capabilities, understand consumers, and deliver new products.
This person will be involved in R&D strategy, resource planning, and have decision-making authority specific to the golf ball product category. It requires a "front-end" leader with a passion for innovation, a deep desire for fundamental understanding, and an understanding of the importance of consumer engagement. This individual plays a prominent role in the concept generation and development of new golf ball designs and helps create objectives with focus on planning, organizing, staffing, and achieving departmental goals.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage research prioritization and the innovation funnel as decided by the R&D leadership team.
- Lead the creative process to develop consumer insights correlated to golf ball construction technology.
- Decision making authority on product design and performance, in collaboration with Director, R&D and the R&D Leadership team.
- Develop goals and measures in order to support key research objectives defined by leadership and then manage resources, assign & prioritize work, and provide technical support to meet key developmental milestones and objectives
- Provide direct supervision of technical specialists and/or subordinate managers as required to ensure key objectives are met.
- Meet with personnel to review progress on projects, assign new projects and reprioritize existing projects as needed.
- Provide positive and corrective feedback to subordinates on an on-going basis to manage performance, and also conduct annual performance reviews, goal setting, and tracking.
- Coordinate activities with the Golf Ball Development Team in alignment with departmental objectives.
- Determine tasks to be outsourced, manage outsourcing activity, and recommend suppliers.
- Seek and advise R&D Leadership of new intellectual property opportunities.
- Lead the Materials innovation and development function in the exploration of new materials and the on-going support of material-related issues in R&D or production, including direct communication with material suppliers.
- Lead fundamental understanding research in multiple golf ball related areas, including but not limited to: materials, construction, aerodynamics, process, and consumers.
- Lead the development and implementation of simulation tools to advance golf ball design.
- Lead capital projects focused on research and innovation as it pertains to golf ball development, and provide guidance in the selection of vendors, including visits to potential suppliers as required.
R&D leadership role
- Contribute to department planning and prioritization. Report status, issues.
- As part of the leadership team, debate strategy, resource allocation, foster teamwork.
Role with Senior Management
- Contribute to strategy discussions (either directly or through R&D Leadership), provide technology, performance, construction and cost insights to facilitate discussion and decision making.
Role with Sales and Marketing
- Represent R&D occasionally in presentations to sales meetings, breakout sessions, on-course sessions and with key retail partners.
- Interact occasionally with the golf media in phone, written and video interviews to show Callaway product features and benefits.
Role with Legal
- Manage the IP agenda by proactively looking for opportunities to develop new or continued patents.
- Collaborate with Legal on FTO for products and projects within category.
- Contribute to the process of performance claims creation and defendability working with Legal on test methods, analytical methods and data integrity.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Ability to manage multiple groups and individual contributors and communicate subordinate performance.
- Skilled at guiding the development of subordinates in alignment with company goals and objectives, and adept at delegating work assignments to subordinate staff.
- Ability to gain cooperation of functional counter-parts, or others not directly supervised, to complete assignments and achieve assigned objectives.
- Ability to work beyond functional boundaries to identify opportunities, develop and implement solutions to improve company performance.
- Strong statistical skills and understanding with knowledge of basic DOE, SPC, and basic problem-solving tools, including Six-Sigma. Ability to analyze and present complex data in clear and efficient manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentations and public speaking.
- Self-starter that takes the initiative to start and complete assignments without direct supervision.
- Must be able to work on assignments that are highly complex in nature where considerable knowledge and independent action is required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
- Considers and understands financial impact of decisions.
- Detailed understanding of the patent process and intellectual property analysis
- Detailed understanding of golf ball design variables and how they affect performance and cost
- Good knowledge of customer base, including influencers and retailers, and consumers. General understanding of the global golf markets, preferences and trends.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in an engineering discipline (mechanical, chemical, etc.) from a four-year college or university.
- Advanced degree in engineering discipline preferred
- Minimum 9 years total experience
- Minimum 3 years experience as a Manager or in a similar role with direct supervisory or managerial experience
Callaway golf is an Equal Opportunity Employer.